Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large Screen Pocket PC Device?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Wishlists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim U

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Large Screen Pocket PC Device? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a Pocket PC device with a larger screen/palm top. I am an appraiser and the niche software that I use has an abreviated version which I can use on a Pocket PC PDA. I have the Toshiba e755 which currently is the largest screen available. Still, when gathering data and inputing a sketch out in the field, the screen is not big enough. I dont have a need for a tablet pc. I was wondering if anyone makes a larger screen (8-10 diag) with the Pocket PC OS. Thanks,

Tim
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, I think. The OS is not really very resolution-flexible in my experience, using JimmySoftware's 'JSLandscape' software. Many windows suffer formatting problems. I think that until Microsoft decides to build in native support for a range of resolutions, manufacturers won't be able to do much more with actual screen size on a PPC.

On the other hand, there's a Samsung device with about a 4" x 6" screen (guess that's around 7", right?), called the 'Nexio'. It runs Linux, and seems to have a very full suite of PIM and web/email applications, along with word processing and other mobile computing needs being covered well. Of course, it's only available in Asia....

There have been a few threads started about this on Brighthand over the years, and elsewhere I've seen the odd comment, but in general it would seem that users want smaller devices, not larger. I want larger. Approximately double would be my minimum if some manufacturer were taking requests. More like 4 inches by 6 inches would be better, given a resolution of 480 x 640. I'd want the same applications to run, of course, and also great battery life and 2 CF slots and an SD slot, all with I/O capability. A dedicated full-size folding keyboard would be a necessity, with a proper armature for supporting the unit while typing.

But I'm dreaming. No OEM is going to release such a device for years yet, I suspect. Not until there's better saturation of the market for these smaller devices will they begin to notice other opportunities, at least for Western sales areas. In Asia, it would seem that approval and manufacture of new and outlandish designs is a lot more liberal. Big problem with importing such a device on the North American side of the pond is language of the OS, unless you either speak the correct language or can get the OS modified or overwritten.

------------------
Gerard Ivan Samija
forum moderator
CEWindows.NET

contributing editor
pocketnow.com
Tim U

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ivan.

Tim U

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Gerard, I guess Ill have to wait until the tablets become more affordable.

Tim

willscar
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the device on www.oqo.com, full windows xp 10 or 20 gig HD. Should be released soon.
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, 'soon'. That's what people have been saying about the OQO for about 18 months. It's vapourware, so far. Of course a miracle could happen and they might actually get someone to manufacture it, but so far it's just a cute idea, and before long it'll be out of date enough that no investors will be interested. Add to that the fact that it's still a PC OS, booting very slowly, and it becomes impractical for many field users. Ever try to write something down or grab a quick voice recording with a notebook PC that's not booted yet? Chances are pretty good the need has vanished before the thing fully loads. In the meantime, a Palm or PPC device can already have 30 seconds of recording done, or dozens of written words and numbers. Very different purposes for these devices.

------------------
Gerard Ivan Samija
forum moderator
CEWindows.NET

contributing editor
pocketnow.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Wishlists All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: