Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storage help

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows Mobile 2003 and SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtmarvin
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Storage help Reply with quote

Hi, I have an ipaq 4150 with Windows 2003. I was wondering which apps can be saved on my memory card rather than the main memory.
Here are the programs I have:
Orionic
ClearTemp
Microsoft Live Search
Total Commander
Cashdiary
Coreplayer
Rescoe pocket radio
Agile mobile messenger
Kaisoft night clock
Spb pocket plus
Spb Diary
Towncompass dataviewer
mobipocket
Microsoft transcriber
Logmein

I save all music, ebooks and email attachments to my storage card but I know I can save programs on there as well, I just don't know how. When I cut and paste a program from main memory into the storage card, that program no longer works until I paste it back into main memory.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

T

*Edit*
One other thing, bluetooth takes up quite a bit of storage and I never use it.
My ppc will not let me delete or uninstall it. Is it possible?

Thanks!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting and pasting EXE files sometimes works, the program still running in the new location (with a new shortcut in the \Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder or somewhere you like), but that is rare. It works when the program is capable of working as a 'standalone executable' but most programs are not. From your list, here are those I know can be run safely from a storage card, whether cut and pasted there or installed there as new installlations by picking this option in the Activesync installation:

Total Commander
Coreplayer
Resco pocket radio

Transcriber is, as I understand it, part of the OS, not something which the user installs. Unless you are using some other version... please explain.

Bluetooth is either part of your device OS or not, depending on whether the model has a Bluetooth radio or not. You cannot move this software, and it is not 'taking up space' in the way user-installed files do.

Programs which need to run on startup, as when you soft reset the device, should not be installed to a card but rather to the default install location. This is because of the potential for serious problems, such as device lockup and resulting data loss on hard reset, if the card-installed program fails to initialize on schedule when soft resetting. Installing SafeMode can be of help if you insist on experimenting with alternate installations. Then, if something like ClearTemp fails to work correctly from its \Windows\Startup location for example and causes a lockup error (I doubt ClearTemp would, but some startup group items might) you would be able to simply soft reset again, tap into SafeMode (not a native app, but a third-party shareware), then delete the startup shortcut, or uninstall the problem software, or both.

Items which run components as Today plugins should likewise be installed to the default location, for the same reason; that on startup (boot) they must be found by the OS quickly. Storage cards tend to initialize much later in the boot process than those programs installed to RAM or a device ROM space (leftover space after OS image), though the latter in some devices can also be problematic. I have found the iPAQ File Store in a couple of devices, for example, to cause very serious problems if the file sizes there grows too close to the storage limit. Same with the extra ROM space, or Flash Disk, in Toshiba's e800 or e830, where installing too much or the wrong sort of software can cause the ROM store to disappear completely, taking all items installed there with it.

As I said, you can choose to install to a non-default location during an Activesync-controlled software installation. Just click No when asked 'Install program to default location' then in the next window use the drop-down menu to select Storage Card or whatever it is called in your case. The memory left in the card will not be indicated here, with a message stating as much ('Unknown' if I recall correctly - it has been many years since I used Activesync to install anything, sorry for being vague), but just choose it anyway if you know there is enough memory space left on the card. Activesync then dumps the relevant files to your device main memory, then unpacks these to the selected location on the card and deletes the main memory parts. Of course most software for Windows Mobile devices installs some files to main memory anyway, such as DLL files in \Windows and components in \Windows\AppMgr and perhaps elements elsewhere such as databases or companion files in \My Documents. There are many, many tricks possible with files such as this, but there are also many, many discussion forums all over the internet dealing with explaining these. I'll not take the time to write a long technical book on the subject for you today, rather wish you luck in your Google searches.
dtmarvin
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows Mobile 2003 and SE All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: