Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PPC-6700: Troubleshooting Virus/Trojan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> AirScanner Mobile Antivirus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errow
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: PPC-6700: Troubleshooting Virus/Trojan Reply with quote

Device: Sprint PCS VisionSM Smart Device PPC-6700

Symptom: Delete files from my Pocket PC while it is connected to the internet (continued below).

Guestimated Virus/Trojan: Since there are only 2 known viruses in existence, I am of the opinion that I have Backdoor.Brador.A Trojan; however, when I downloaded, installed, and ran NetQin Mobile Anti-Virus, no viruses were found.

Symptoms Continued: The deleted files are my pictures, which are stored both on my storage card and mobile device. When I noticed my missing pictures at first, I went into my folders - nothing was there. It took me a few tries to realize that I had to show all files. When I did this, I saw as many separate folders I had for the number of pictures I had. Every folder name was "." and when I went into those folders, nothing was there.

I feel as though I ran into a brick wall. Can anyone offer some relief?

Regards.
air1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, if it was a Brador variant, the antivirus should detect it. Did you try Airscanner? Brador doesn't have encryption or polymorphism, so if you got it, it shoudl be detected.

That being said, there are several other viruses and malware for pocket pc, but none that we've seen "in the wild"..unless you have something new.
Errow
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC-6700: Troubleshooting Virus/Trojan Reply with quote

air1 wrote:
Did you try Airscanner?

I tried 'amav', but it is not a valid Pocket PC application. Then I tried 'asmav30_SP'. It installed, but again, nothing was found - no virus.

I took a photo with the camera and immediately, it was gone.

I have a theory: what if this phone, for whatever reason or another, is uploading to the Sprint site? Is there a setting I can check (where?) to see if it's automatically uploading my files?
air1
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, having never used that feature Sad
Errow
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC-6700: Troubleshooting Virus/Trojan Reply with quote

Well, my theory just bit the dust. I made sure I was not connected to the Internet, took a picture, and it was gone.

I then moved a picture from my desk PC over to the PocketPC, which worked. So I did something - I connected to the Net. The picture was still there. I took another picture with the camera - gone. The picture from the desktop remained. Not sure what's going on, but at least the problem has been narrowed to the camera. Should the desktop picture pull a Houdini, I'll report it here.

If anyone else can offer some suggestions, I'd appreciate it and buy you a cyber beer.

Regards.
hezahonker
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/index.php?

Go to the Windows based phones sub forum. Very Happy If you don't find anyone else with that problem- post your question there. Tons of users so you should find an answer to what is up.

Personally, I would just hard reset my device and see if the behavior continues. If it doesn't, then you can probably chalk it up to some software conflict. At that point restore each program one by one and see if you can tell where the behavior starts again.

If you hard reset, I would backup the device first and if you find the problem isn't corrected with a clean device, you can just restore it. At least that way you don't loose anything.

Just my two cents. Wink
Errow
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link hezahonker. It's helpful and I already posted there. Smile

What's also strange to me is that for calls receive, the phone still displays the caller's picture yet I cannot find it anywhere, in any folders. So, I don't know if I want to ''hard reset'' it yet - although I may have to. Confused

Whatever happens, I'll be posting follow ups in case someone else experiences the technological stress levels I have or if these forums are being monitored by the PocketPC gurus.

This is very frustrating.

Regards.
mdturner77
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: The evil "." folder replicator! Reply with quote

I have the same problem as you. Yesterday, I took some photos on my phone, and I have it set to save on my storage card when I take a photo. But then the photos never showed up again, and all I had were a LOT of folders all named "." that seemed to be replicas of each other. Finally was able to delete the buggers this morning and deleted the auto-placed "My Documents>My Pictures" folder on the storage card. The camera program re-created it (as well as a DCIM folder) on my storage card, and it's working fine again.

Weird. Had similar issues with my Media Player files (mp3's) on the storage card. Seems to be centered around how the device behaves with a storage card. FYI: mine is a 2GB card.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> AirScanner Mobile Antivirus All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: