Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Mobile 6 has device encrption?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows Mobile 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny206
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Windows Mobile 6 has device encrption? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know the latest Windows Mobile 6 version supports memory card encryption. But a friend told me it also supports encryption for the whole device, or at least the major stuff like Documents folder, calendar, email, tasks, etc. Is this true? If yes, how do I activate it? Thanks a lot!!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under WM6/WM6.1 there is a Settings > System applet called Encryption, which offers to encrypt files when they are placed on or saved to a storage card. No mention of main memory is made, and I see no other option on the device which would offer this function. One can of course, as always with any PPC operating system, password lock the device. This should provide as much security as encryption, provided one uses a complex passcode for unlocking and a short enough timeout before it automatically locks the device.

There is a warning in the storage card encryption option which merits serious consideration. It says:
Quote:
Encrypted files can be read only by this device. WARNING: Encrypted files cannot be recovered after a hard reset or clearing storage. To help prevent data loss, back up data from the storage cards to another location.

Presumably this means to backup BEFORE encryption, as otherwise the backup version would be garbage. Considering that a hard reset might be forced by a few situations, I'd worry that doing this would endanger access to my data, especially if entering a lot of new data on the card regularly. But to each his own...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Windows Mobile 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: