Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq 3850 need HELP

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Palm-size PC Questions/Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calledtoserve
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: ipaq 3850 need HELP Reply with quote

I am a noob at this so I'll point out what I need help on the best I can.

(1) I want to put music on it but it has windows media 8 and my comp is running 11... where and how can I fix that?

(2) what is the best way I can get online while traveling and how much is it going to cost me? I run telus high speed dsl at home and I dont have any extra's with this unit?

(3) Where can I find alot of game's for this thing?I bought one for my long bus ride to work.

(4) I want to add background's and transfer picture's what program do you recomend?

(5) how do I turn this thing into a phone? and did I get a good deal for 80 bux?

thanx for your time.I am sorry if most of the answer's are in post but it is 2 am here and I am tired and did look.take care ty
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ipaq 3850 need HELP Reply with quote

calledtoserve wrote:

(1) I want to put music on it but it has windows media 8 and my comp is running 11... where and how can I fix that?

There is nothing to 'fix'. Just use a card reader and put MP3 files into an SD card (or CF card, if you have a CF sleeve). They should be in My Documents or one sub-folder down, such as My Documents/music for example. WMP will only find music in these locations on a card or in main memory, so the root folder My Documents on the card is important. You may also want to look into more versatile and user-friendly players, such as gsPlayer, Core, TCPMP, Resco, Vito, etc.
Quote:

(2) what is the best way I can get online while traveling and how much is it going to cost me? I run telus high speed dsl at home and I dont have any extra's with this unit?

A Wi-Fi card, the 802.11b variety, should allow connecting at any open access points you find, or in cases where WEP-encrypted access is needed and you have the code this works as well. There are a number of brands of compatible cards. I'd suggest a Symbol or Socket card, provided the model states compatibility with your older device. You will also need a CF sleeve into which to plug such a card. The SD Wi-Fi cards will not work with your device, as the SD slot on that model series is memory-only, lacking I/O functions.
Quote:

(3) Where can I find alot of game's for this thing?I bought one for my long bus ride to work.

Google and other search engines are very helpful for this. As there are thousands of PPC game and other software download sites it'd be silly to try and list them here.
Quote:

(4) I want to add background's and transfer picture's what program do you recomend?

The device has the native ability to use any common format image you have in it as a Today screen background. Just copy over images from your PC, or use a card to transfer them, and then in the Settings | Today applet choose the image as your background. No special program is needed.
Quote:

(5) how do I turn this thing into a phone? and did I get a good deal for 80 bux?

Whether it's a good deal or not is up to you. If you like it and it works, seems a good price.
You would need a CF sleeve and a compatible (has the proper drivers for WM2002) cellphone CF card. There are about 6 or 7 of those made, though I am not sure how many are still being offered. It was a market which never really took off. This seems mostly due to the fact that these cards turned off when the device was powered off, rendering them useless for incoming calls. Convergentech had the most interesting offering, in my opinion. They planned to sell (and maybe sold a few) a CF card with space for a SIM, offering GSM/GPRS tri-band and an included battery in the card to extend hours of use. There were also the Audiovox, Spider, Pretec, and a few other makes of similar or CDMA versions. All expensive. None seemed to get reviewed. I asked repeatedly for a Convergentech sample to review, and was promised one repeatedly, but the software was always "just a few weeks away from ready". sigh.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Palm-size PC Questions/Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: