Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large screen Pocket PC like device

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Wishlists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliankay

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:14 am    Post subject: Large screen Pocket PC like device Reply with quote

Hi guys.
If i said there was a large screen Pocket PC device running Windows CE .NET.. what would you like it to have as features?

I mean everything! from built in software to hardware!

Post it here, and you never know what might happen!!
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want, a 10,000 word essay? Be serious. Obviously, we'd generally want all the existing features of PPC, plus more, minus the bugs. And a bigger screen would be nice, maybe a 3.5" x 3.5"?

------------------
Gerard Ivan Samija
Contributing Editor
http://www.pocketnow.com/

[This message has been edited by Gerard (edited May 21, 2002).]
juliankay

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, you have to remember it wont /be/ PocketPC. This means your PPC programs /wont/ work. However, HPC based software would work just fine.

Yea, those 10,000 words would be good... but knowing what users MUST have is all I need!

For anyone who has always wanted this, now is the time to speak up!!!

Julian
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as long as developers continue to support H/PC that'd be fine. Unfortunately, many have drifted away from providing H/PC versions. So until .NET stuff gets wide support, it'd be rather useless except for built-in apps. Is that why you ask?
For word processing/communication I'd like:
- Notepad (GigaPad is awesome!)
- Word, with proper page-format zoom preview (ie: smaller than 75%)
- Excel (basic, not too worried about bells and whistles)
- A decent email client, with HTML (reading, at least), download preview with checkboxes, sensible attachment browser which remembers where I last looked (for speed), no stupid random wrap, cut/paste option for saving attachments...

Media:
- A built-in basic paint program with BMP, PNG, JPG, and TIF support, and clipboard tie-in for inserting images to documents as-is or after editing. Should also have a reliable associate/restore association dialogue for all file types.
- Capacity for adding CF I camera modules, preferably all models.

Hardware:

- Cursorpad like Casio EG-800; simply the best ever made.
- Minimum of 1 CF II slot (or PC II slot and adapter) and 1 SD slot, built in!
- Battery should of course be replaceable by users, with a small backup.
- Put the Record button far from the microphone. Right next to it is silly, noise-wise. By preference, add a mic-jack instead or as well. We need to be able to plug in a small, decent mic.
- Overall size of about 4-1/2" x 6" x 5/8" is very reasonable for carrying in a small case, whether belt-mounted or in a large pocket or shoulder bag. I think if you could give us even as large a screen as 4" x 4-1/2", many users would happily put up with a larger unit than a Pocket PC. (Anyone with a strong contrary opinion?)
- Built-in dialup modem would be cool, if reliable. Keeping slots free for memory and camera would make it killer as a conferencing device, whether wired or Bluetooth.
- Ability to use a commonly available, durable keyboard. I'd vote for the Stowaway, as they seem to be here for the longer haul. Prefer to use most-applied port for this, so the Compaq standard (will HP-Compaq revamp this?) seems a good bet, or perhaps the Palm version (if it supports Jay Lagorio's WordCommands shortcuts).
- NO JACKETS! Use a short cable or PC adapter with multi-slot inputs for all the crazy media coming out. There's already a couple of brands of PC card to CF I/CFII/SD/MMC/Memory Stick adapters available for people with a range of digital camera gear, so why get more complicated by designing a whole device around awkward sleeves? SD/MMC is small and easy to squeeze in somewhere. All else could be done either through a PC slot or via a multi-drive bay/cable like a lot of the sub-notebooks use. Keeps thickness down to maybe 1/2" while admitting the possibility of one day plugging in anything, right up to Firewire and CD-RW.

I'm out of breath. Are you for real? Need a tester?

------------------
Gerard Ivan Samija
Contributing Editor
juliankay

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware:

- Cursorpad like Casio EG-800; simply the best ever made.
*Agreed*

- Minimum of 1 CF II slot (or PC II slot and adapter) and 1 SD slot, built in!
*What about CF and PC card slots?*

- Battery should of course be replaceable by users, with a small backup.
*Yup, and how about being able to add EXTRA battery to it, on the fly*

- Put the Record button far from the microphone. Right next to it is silly, noise-wise. By preference, add a mic-jack instead or as well. We need to be able to plug in a small, decent mic.
*Agreed*

- Overall size of about 4-1/2" x 6" x 5/8" is very reasonable for carrying in a small case, whether belt-mounted or in a large pocket or shoulder bag. I think if you could give us even as large a screen as 4" x 4-1/2", many users would happily put up with a larger unit than a Pocket PC. (Anyone with a strong contrary opinion?)
*eek*

- Built-in dialup modem would be cool, if reliable. Keeping slots free for memory and camera would make it killer as a conferencing device, whether wired or Bluetooth.
*Hmm*

- Ability to use a commonly available, durable keyboard. I'd vote for the Stowaway, as they seem to be here for the longer haul. Prefer to use most-applied port for this, so the Compaq standard (will HP-Compaq revamp this?) seems a good bet, or perhaps the Palm version (if it supports Jay Lagorio's WordCommands shortcuts).
*what about USB for mouse and keyboard?*

- NO JACKETS! Use a short cable or PC adapter with multi-slot inputs for all the crazy media coming out. There's already a couple of brands of PC card to CF I/CFII/SD/MMC/Memory Stick adapters available for people with a range of digital camera gear, so why get more complicated by designing a whole device around awkward sleeves? SD/MMC is small and easy to squeeze in somewhere. All else could be done either through a PC slot or via a multi-drive bay/cable like a lot of the sub-notebooks use. Keeps thickness down to maybe 1/2" while admitting the possibility of one day plugging in anything, right up to Firewire and CD-RW.
*Agreed!!*

Wow, thanks for all that information. In alot of ways we are thinking the same kinda thing.. *wanders off to do something secret*
Gerard
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer bad. But in a nice way. Got me on the edge of my seat!
And yes, CF + PC would be excellent. USB is fine and good, but no pocketable/portable keyboards exist, right? So I'm thinking for ... data entry something like a Stowaway is essential. (I have 2, a Casio and an iPAQ model.) Otherwise, it ceases to be even remotely portable in the Pocket PC sense. The slimmest USB kb I've seen is still a beast. I'd feel a right dork packin' one in a shoulderbag. However, if you have a solution, bring it!
Stackable batteries; cool.
So, planning a slightly bigger screen yet? Perhaps double a PPC's? I'm likin' that. Like a mini-tablet. It's where I see all these honking big tablets going in 3 or 4 years anyway...
Happy mad-scientist stuff to you, whoever you are!

------------------
Gerard Ivan Samija
Contributing Editor
juliankay

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well. I can't really say anything about anything anyway! When things become public.. we may need some sites to do some reviews....
Joseph Lim

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo.. you looking for funding for it?

Anyways, have any of you looked at the Samsung Nexio? It is using a bigger screen AND it has CDMA wireless.

But, because, as Gerard has mentioned it uses a different screen ratio, the Nexio is using Windows CE, and not PocketPC, which is a shame :P

MSFT should release some kind of "Platform builder" for PocketPC and not just the base Windows CE IMHO.

Let us know what happens with your venture.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Wishlists All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: