Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index Pocket PC FAQ Forums
The place to discuss Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, Smartphones, Handheld PCs, Windows CE and More!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Detailed Wish List

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Wishlists
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetaero
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2001 4:03 pm    Post subject: My Detailed Wish List Reply with quote

1. Allow Pocket Outlook synchronization with software other than MS Outlook.

2. Allow email synchronization with Outlook Express at least. Many of us do NOT like MS Outlook!

3. Provide Contacts with option to sort by company name (and perhaps other fields as well.)

4. Provide Contacts with option to search by company name (and perhaps other fields as well.)

5. Provide password protection and "hide" capabilities for individual contact names, to-dos, schedules, etc. Ideally, the simplest method would be to allow hiding of selected categories, locked with a pasword.

6. Provide a task bar (never mind the critics) so we can see what apps are running and easily switch between them.

7. Provide ALL applications with a CLOSE button.

8. All Calendar views should display all anniversaries and holidays without requiring user to designate them as "busy".

9. Make better use of color in Contacts and Calendar Month view. Current design is boring and monochromatic. Look at Epoc/Symbian Crystal interface for inspiration.

10. Get rid of Calendar Month view scrolling. This is a very confusing navigation method. Monthly calendars should be displayed one month at a time, never halfway.

11. Either put the OS on a diet (unlikely with MS), allow device to use CF memory as RAM for running apps, and/or allow user to delete any unwanted, space-hogging, pre-installed apps such as Pocket Money.

12. Make main memory expandable.

13. Either make Pocket Streets functional, or get rid of it. This app is worthless without the ability to accurately import maps and pushpins from Streets & Trips.

14. Improve and standardize file navigation interface across all PPC apps. Simplicity is not an excuse for stupidity. Provide dual-pane Explorer-type view. Allow drag and drop operations. Allow display of file extensions. Provide 'back' button for navigation. List actual locations for files, in other words, do not show a file in my Windows folder if that file is actually only located in ROM.

15. Improve HTML capabilities: Give Pocket IE a text string search. Give Pocket Word HTML display capability.

16. Remember user preferences when resetting device. Do NOT always revert to keyboard data entry if user has selected handwriting recognition.

17. Make ActiveSync more stable, less of a resource hog, easier to disable.

18. Make Start Menu as easy to customize as it is in Windows. Allow folders in Start Menu. Move it back to the bottom where everyone expects it to be.

19. Place battery level meter on every screen, or at least on Today screen.

20. Improve Pocket IE Mobile Favorites. Allow folders for organization. Allow adding shortcuts by entering their address directly.

21. Increase audio recording level.

22. Allow audio recordings to be listened to on PC.

23. Want to steal Sony/Palm's thunder? Make a CF-based Memory Stick adapter. I'm sure Sony'd love to license it to you.

24. Standardize Calendar's filtering tool with other apps. Calendar has illogical and unintuitive filtering controls, different from Contacts and Tasks. You are shown a list of categories and you must select those that you want included in your filter. But all categories appear unselected when no filter is applied, giving the impression that none of the categories are currently visible.

25. Fix handwriting recognition. It has an enormous amount of trouble with the lower case letters t and i. And do not even think of telling me to use "lower case" mode. I'm not about to dramatically alter my handwriting, which is damn good, when the Palm could read it just fine with my block letters.

26. Give File Explorer resizable columns. It displays severely truncated filenames and file sizes, which are often impossible to read. It might also be nice if tapping and holding down a filename would bring up a temporary window displaying all its attributes in detail (filename, size, last saved date, last opened date, etc.)

27. Make File Explorer default to a root directory, such as My Device. Currently, it defaults to the local My Documents folder, requiring at least 3 screen taps to navigate backwards and reach the My Documents folder on the storage card. This is inefficient, frustrating, and unintuitive.

28. Force all applications to support saving and reading of data files in any location, not just in some predetermined folder or a subfolder of My Documents. This is ridiculous.

[This message has been edited by jetaero (edited April 20, 2001).]
Russ Smith
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of what you wrote but
11. Either put the OS on a diet (unlikely with MS), allow device to use CF memory as RAM for running apps, and/or allow user to delete any unwanted, space-hogging, pre-installed apps such as Pocket Money.
How does Pocket Money hog any space if you're not using it?
13. Either make Pocket Streets functional, or get rid of it. This app is worthless without the ability to accurately import maps and pushpins from Streets & Trips.
You can import maps but, I agree, the push-pin bug is inexcusable. I'd also like to see it GPS enabled and have the ability to store "Interstate Maps" with no local detail but covering at least a few states worth of highways.
14. 14. Improve and standardize file navigation interface across all PPC apps. Simplicity is not an excuse for stupidity. Provide dual-pane Explorer-type view. Allow drag and drop operations. Allow display of file extensions. Provide 'back' button for navigation.
Drag and Drop is only useful when you can have two applications up at the same time or if, as you suggest, they go to a dual-pane Explorer. I couldn't agree more on file extensions.
18. Make Start Menu as easy to customize as it is in Windows. Allow folders in Start Menu. Move it back to the bottom where everyone expects it to be.
I had cascading menus on my Palm-sized PC. They got in the way more often than they were helpful. Actually, that's why the start menu was moved to the top, so the application menus would be less likely to get in the way (So you could still see what you were doing).
23. Want to steal Sony/Palm's thunder, make a CF-based Memory Stick adapter. I'm sure they'd love to license it to you.
PreTec's making one!
jetaero
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you agree with more than you thought...

"How does Pocket Money hog any space if you're not using it?"

It's taking up at least 279k of precious main memory space that I could otherwise be using to run apps or to store something else. I am unable to uninstall it or delete the file.

"I agree, the push-pin bug is inexcusable"

I wish it were just a bug --- then maybe they might fix it. This was done intentionally. It has something to do with their licensing of the map data. MS didn't want to pay for it, but they wanted a PPC map product to show off, so they created a uselessly crippled application that generates great screenshots for advertising the PPC.

"Drag and Drop is only useful when you can have two applications up at the same time or if, as you suggest, they go to a dual-pane Explorer."

A dual-pane Explorer was what I had in mind, but it could also work by dragging a file up to another folder in the drop down folder list.

"I had cascading menus on my Palm-sized PC. They got in the way more often than they were helpful. Actually, that's why the start menu was moved to the top, so the application menus would be less likely to get in the way (So you could still see what you were doing)."

The Start menu always fills the screen. What difference does it make to you if a menu that's in your way happens to originate from the top or from the bottom? If it's in the way, it's in the way.

My point is that all Windows users are accustomed to the Start button appearing on the bottom, and so that would be the most logical place to put it on a PPC.

Also, label it "Start" instead of hiding it behind the ubiquitous Windows logo that normally contains a close/minimize menu instead of the all-important Start menu.

As far as cascading menus go, I'm not saying to get carried away with them, but to simply give the user the option of creating and using them.

"make a CF-based Memory Stick adapter."
"PreTec's making one!"

Do you have a link to any info? I didn't see anything on their web site.

[This message has been edited by jetaero (edited April 13, 2001).]
Russ Smith
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2001 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're refering to. Money shows up in the Windows directory as taking 279K. The thing is, your machine is lying to you. (Well, sort of) It's taking 279K out of the 16MB of ROM. It's not really taking any internal memory. There are a lot of things in the Windows directory of which the same it true.
I didn't realize that Microsoft's PushPin displacement was intentional. Sounds like a pointy-haired manager's decision to me
The reason the cascading menus were in the way was because they cascaded (not because they were on top or bottom). The point about the top to bottom swap was that, generally, whatever you're working on is near the top and even a short menu will cover it if it pops from the top.
Personally, I didn't find this a vast improvement so maybe we are closer to agreement on that.
On the other hand, I'm not sure, given screen real-estate as it is, that adding "Start" to the Windows Logo would be an improvement but they could use a different icon. (Except that, then there wouldn't be a windows logo on the screen at all times :0

The best I can do on the Memory Stick to CF adapter is http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/archives/00000589.html
It starts out talking about a MMC to CF adapter but it mentions the Memory Stick to CF adapter at the end. For whatever reason, PreTec isn't talking about this yet.
jetaero
Pocketeer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are a lot of things in the Windows directory of which the same it true."

Add this to my long list of gripes. Tell me this isn't idiotic. What is the purpose of analyzing my device's contents if the OS won't even tell me where the files actually reside. This is the most condescending "feature" yet.

"I didn't realize that Microsoft's PushPin displacement was intentional."

I asked and was told that imported pushpins aren't supposed to be accurate. When I asked what was the point of importing them, the guy gave me a vague explanation as to the licensing restrictions behind this limitation, but did not explain why they didn't just leave pushpins out of the import feature altogether. It's clear to me why... so that people would think it works and would think of this as another incentive to buy a PPC.

Everything about the PPC's marketing reveals a significant amount of deception and exaggeration designed to fool potential buyers.

"On the other hand, I'm not sure, given screen real-estate as it is, that adding "Start" to the Windows Logo would be an improvement but they could use a different icon."

Anything, so long as it's clear and obvious. The current icon is obviously a poor choice, as it looks exactly like a close/minimize menu icon.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket PC FAQ Forums Forum Index -> Pocket PC Wishlists All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: